TypeScript Power Users
An action-packed workshop to boost TypeScript skills for the questioning, hungry and passionate minds.
- Nov 15Minneapolis Convention Center2 days16:00 - 23:00 UTCHackle Wayne1 000 USD
If you think TypeScript is easy peasy because you already know language X, it probably isn't!
Much loved, and as one of the essential languages in today's software development, TypeScript can seem easy to start with, but it quickly gets overwhelming, especially as it keeps growing in popularity and features.
It's also quite the eye-opener for anyone fluent in the mainstream, with a type system definitely a cut above, inspiring fresh ways of thinking and designing software.
- want to gain extra TypeScript power because you know of its existence, or
- you started easy, but now hit a wall with TypeScript, or
- you do feel a bit lost with daily struggles against the type checker, or
- you feel TypeScript can be used just like Java or C# without much fuss, although find online code examples and answers cryptic and hard to comprehend (almost like they are talking about another language!)
Then come along to this leisurely and fun workshop! There will be strange and familiar examples, some fun quizzes and labs, plenty of interaction, but not too much pressure.
We go in with strong intentions. The focus is laying a clear and sound foundation for our understanding not going over every single feature or quirk of the language.
Specifically, we will,
- Get the basics out of the way
- Learn to talk and listen to TypeScript
How to quickly validate our types? How to read the cryptic error messages? How to shorten the feedback cycle for efficient development?
The points will be iterated and reinforced throughout the workshop.
- Get a good taste of the power of TypeScript, and learn not to hurt ourselves this way
We go over a set of key language features, especially those that make TypeScript so different and so powerful, then drive them home with plenty of hands-on.
Do expect to break a sweat, as we venture into uncharted land.
- Embrace the TypeScript mindset
TypeScript leads us naturally to new ways of problem solving. With more exercises we observe such effects that will push the envelope and open up new realisations.
With this workshop under the belt, you should feel calm and comfortable with TypeScript, and have the structure and techniques required to explore on your own the excitement it brings.
- Priors programming experience is essential
- It would help if you know the syntax and core libraries, to be able to get through the quizzes and labs
As usual, this workshop features unexpected tangents that are often as inspirational as the main content.
A veteran in the trade, Hackle enjoys programming as a thinking game. He advocates programming functionally and tries to share his learnings in ways that are pragmatic, idiomatic and accessible.